When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This way of serving Absinthe is the traditional way that Absinthe was served in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. There is no problem in studying “The Ritual” or “La Louche”.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. One must get the Absinthe having the thujone content.
– There is necessity of an Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. Replicas of antiques like Pontarlier glasses and Eiffel Tower spoons are available at AbsintheKit.com.
– Use a slotted Absinthe spoon.
– Take a cube of sugar.
– Iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– A cube of sugar is needed to be placed the resting Absinthe spoon.
– Either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a carafe one can drip iced water over the sugar. By slowly dripping it sugar will dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. You should see a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. As the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol but not in water so the Absinthe louches.
– A person can have fun with Absinthe commonly known as the Green Fairy.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. Various Absinthe followers detested the Bohemian method.
You will need:-
– Buy an Absinthe glass
– Importance of an Absinthe slotted spoon
– Use a cube of sugar
– Take a lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– The process is to place sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– Burn the sugar cube for few seconds to allow it to caramelize and melt. The sugar should drip through the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– A person is able to put out any flames and cause the Absinthe to louche by putting the spoon and pouring the iced water into it.
– A person can enjoy his Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway always mixed it with champagne, he called it “Death in the Afternoon”.
A large number of legends, mysteries and stories are there encircling different aspects of Absinthe. Enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.